Since you asked:

"Therefore, to be possess'd with double pomp, to guard a title that was rich before, to gild refined gold, to paint the lily,
to throw a perfume on the violet, to smooth the ice, or add another hue unto the rainbow, or with taper-light
to seek the beauteous eye of heaven to garnish, is wasteful and ridiculous excess."

~William Shakespeare,
ca. 1595

Yup, that's us.

July 05, 2008

Again, no pictures...

...so all you have is my blather, but frankly, it has been so hot again that all I can think about are the basics...getting to and from point A and point B, and the logistics of work, store and family. Misery does love company, and I take solace in the fact that many of you are struggling with the same equation...heat, and more heat!

Our fourth was lovely, spent at my sister's house, which is the epitome of gracious living, at least in my mind. She has a lovely covered breezeway outside her house with plants, lovingly refurbished iron and wood furnishings, and the smell of her husband Roger's artfully smoked and barbecued delicacies are never far from hand. Not to be outdone, my sister prepared six flavors of handmade ice cream and two toppings for the fourth of July event! The south facing exposure of their house offered views of at least six cities' fireworks AND Disneyland! I slathered on the bug lotion and sat outside on the little promontory and watched it all happen with a small tumbler of scotch in my hand and a throw around my shoulders. Divine.

Alain and I came home after dropping my mom at her house, and sat outside on the front porch on a slightly creaky cedar bench and reminisced about how we used to walk across the street and lean against the wall there with a glass of wine in our hands when we first moved here, and kind of sneak up on our little house and marvel at how wonderful it was. In the constant throes of renovations, and shoring up different portions of our little French cottage style home, it is easy to forget that initial wonder and pleasure, and we traipsed across the street last night, toddies in hand, and looked at it with hearts renewed. A work in progress, no doubt, but one worth tackling, as evidenced by the fact that Alain installed a ceiling fan in the office today, battling brutal temperatures in the attic to do so. I wasn't so brave, but did re-pot the wonderful Cabernet vine I purchased from Sabrina recently, and put it in place outside our office window where it will (hopefully) wrap gracefully around the sill and then climb up over the arbor on the deck.

A lovely day at the store today with visits from a new friend, Ann Marie, who will be wearing the fabulous 1920s lace dress to a supper club this week, paired with a set of art nouveau pearl earrings; then our dear Diane who created all day at the big table, and hot on her heels Susan and Erika, and a visit from Stephanie, too. We all puttered away and I had a brief respite before those wild women of the arts descended on me...Janis, Jamie, Nancy and two more of their friends called to the fore. What a wonderful afternoon, capped off by a visit from my bestest friend, Lindy, who was sporting a spectacular sunburn from the flea market. She helped me turn out the lights and lock up and we came back to 404 Brookdale to sip a glass of wine on the balcony and soak up that delicious breeze that comes up our hill each evening...

Dear friends, that is enough to tell for one day. I fear the lazy days of summer are upon us, so don't fault me if I write a bit less and languor a bit more. I am hoping that dear Jamie is going to send me a pic of her crown creation so I can blog it....Jamie, your "moules-frites" depend upon it!

Hugs, Nancy

No comments: