Since you asked:

"Therefore, to be possess'd with double pomp, to guard a title that was rich before, to gild refined gold, to paint the lily,
to throw a perfume on the violet, to smooth the ice, or add another hue unto the rainbow, or with taper-light
to seek the beauteous eye of heaven to garnish, is wasteful and ridiculous excess."

~William Shakespeare,
ca. 1595

Yup, that's us.

July 06, 2008

Potting and Puttering...

Oh today and all it should have held, but here is what it did....

I potted two lavenders, one French and one Spanish, and trimmed the bouganvillea vine that climbs up from our downstairs and drapes itself upon the wrought iron railing on the deck. It needed a clipping in the worst possible way...it was surging skyward with big, rasping, thorny spikes, and bulging inward on the deck, crowding the chairs and tables away from the rail. I took the double handled scissor-shears to it and managed to get it under control, as well as cleaning all the rattan and glass. We all felt rather civilised as we sat there late this afternoon, with freshly potted plants and clean-swept boards under our feet...

Plans are in the making for some summer lighting on the deck, more plantings, and the things that seem to be so popular now...the indoors as outdoors touches...lamps, decor and so on. I don't have a whole lot of time, energy or money to throw at it, so we shall see what I can conjure up for the longer days of summer. I shall take it as a personal challenge...

Another ceiling fan has been installed in our home, and actually, it's rather like two. We are on a roll lately....the one from the den (not the flush mount style that we now favor) was unceremoniously ripped from its moorings and taken downstairs to our bedroom. Our little room, which has a lower ceiling, will accommodate the fan, but one must be careful now about the placement of one's cranium and the fan blades... But, to the betterment of our lifestyle, the new "flush mount" fan has taken its place in the den and is churning cooling breezes over us as we speak.

I have to say, my husband is a pretty handy fellow, and will undertake almost anything. Lately, he has taken to installing indirect lighting in the rooms we are finishing and painting, and they are complete with the exception of having the live wires yanked through and set up.

Which, by the way, is just fine with me, as I have vivid memories of Alain swapping out all the electrical outlets in the condo when we lived there; I came home to my two year old telling me that, "Daddy gots the 'tricity, he gots the juice!" Which, as I came to find out later, meant that he was too lazy or impatient to keep turning off the power at the box while he swapped out all the components, and kept getting shocked while my toddler looked on.... I'll have to check in with her and see if this has changed her life in any way. So far, so good...

And, I have to report, there were straight "A"s on the college report card tonight, which she must have just gotten in the mail. Am I proud? Well....yeah! I love my girl! On that note, I will close for the night...it's cooling down, and I might just have to treat myself to a few minutes on the revamped deck, lavender and all...

Ciao for now, girls, N

2 comments:

FrenchGardenHouse said...

Well, it's always good to feel civilized, particularly where those silly bouganville's are concerned! Hooray for the student..job well done.

Hope you are enjoying your summer. soon we'll be on that fasttrain through fall to the holidays, so I'm trying to enjoy it all I can.
xo Lidy

wendy humphreys said...

Nancy, your on line store is
just Fabulous!!!!

Wishing you Billions :)
~xo~