Since you asked:

"Therefore, to be possess'd with double pomp, to guard a title that was rich before, to gild refined gold, to paint the lily,
to throw a perfume on the violet, to smooth the ice, or add another hue unto the rainbow, or with taper-light
to seek the beauteous eye of heaven to garnish, is wasteful and ridiculous excess."

~William Shakespeare,
ca. 1595

Yup, that's us.

September 01, 2008

Seeing Double...

Imagine my surprise when I happened upon this window downtown. We were on our way to that fabulous little gelato place on Commonwealth (if you haven't...you should...real Italian gelato!), and passed this shop just one block from my own. It was with some confusion and consternation I took in this scene...a little vignette a la Gilding the Lily! You tell me...see any similarities?



Sadly, it's not the first time, nor will it probably be the last. But still...sigh.

This brings to mind many, many conversations I have had with artists and friends over the past year: the constant struggle to maintain the balance between the art we create and the art we share; marketing our creations and the things that comprise them; and keeping ourselves true to what may be the more difficult road to travel, but more rewarding.

Like all of you, I know how hard it can be to create something truly different. To craft something that is fresh and stay true to that. So there is a part of me that understands how it can seem easier to do what already works than to strike out in a different direction. But really, that is where the real work and the even more real rewards lie. It is so worth doing, and I hope I see it come about in this instance.

In the meantime, I will take this for what it might be at its best, the sincerest form of flattery.

1 comment:

Maija said...

That's a great attitude, Nancy- good for you!
I can only imagine what it must feel like.