Since you asked:

"Therefore, to be possess'd with double pomp, to guard a title that was rich before, to gild refined gold, to paint the lily,
to throw a perfume on the violet, to smooth the ice, or add another hue unto the rainbow, or with taper-light
to seek the beauteous eye of heaven to garnish, is wasteful and ridiculous excess."

~William Shakespeare,
ca. 1595

Yup, that's us.

January 08, 2008

A Moving Experience...

For some reason, I have been unable to log into my little blog (stupidity is the first thing that comes to mind), but I have been a little overwhelmed with moving the store. Sunday, in pouring rain, we moved my cases to the new space, wedging Gilding in with Alain Jamar Design for the time being, while construction and wiring is done in the new AJD space at home. It is all very exciting, and the best part was seeing my things in the new space, albeit stacked cheek to jowl and one atop another. In all the time I daydreamed about moving Gilding there, I was never quite able to envision what it would look like, almost like seing the pastiche of my things and our computers and printers was a little vertiginous and I would have to stop. Now, seeing the dark wood of the cases and shelves, even without their contents, it is as if they are finally home. I can't wait to load them up again; my sister and my mom will come and stack ribbon, and dear DeDe is at the ready, as is my Wendy, who came yesterday to look at the mess. Bless her, all she was was the potential for what it will be. Clients who came yesterday were agog at the situation, but like the idea of coming to the house. John says he will never leave if we let him come over...

I am turning over in my mind the probability of our first class this year and scheduling, the move, restocking the store and so on. I have been trying to accomplish one thing each day, and yesterday before leaving the office, managed to stuff my order with 100 Proof Press into the fax. Today, I'm going for Papaya's order, and then dear Edith and her dresdens. That should finish it off, as well as my bank account! There is so much else to do; still the shelves to take down at the old location, antique frames to fit out with foam core and fabric, and the tubs of stuff that await sorting....well, they will have to wait. Those are going to be like vitamins...one a day, if I'm lucky.

Well, on to my day. To one and all who read this, thank you for everything. To my sis and Roger, I couldn't have done it without you. My mother, for waving her wand over me periodically; Ed, for your strong shoulders and back; Bean, who always believes in me, and AJ...thanks for returning the favor.

Ciao for now!

No comments: