Since you asked:

"Therefore, to be possess'd with double pomp, to guard a title that was rich before, to gild refined gold, to paint the lily,
to throw a perfume on the violet, to smooth the ice, or add another hue unto the rainbow, or with taper-light
to seek the beauteous eye of heaven to garnish, is wasteful and ridiculous excess."

~William Shakespeare,
ca. 1595

Yup, that's us.

September 04, 2013

A little truth and beauty...

Sometimes we just need a little something to take the edge off a rough day, or make us forget about the oppressive late summer heat. The past week has been particularly warm, and today will be another one to get through, so I'm starting my day with thoughts of things more pleasant...


Sometimes it's the simplest things we take joy in. Like this beautiful hank of spun cane beads in the most delectable pink. It makes me happy just to see it sitting there on my desk. I don't know that I will ever bring myself to use them, as they delight me just as they are.

Something else I find very pleasing is when the natural beauty of objects is allowed to shine through. I don't know if the inclusion of rough gems will survive runway trends, or live forever in more understated artisan pieces, but I love them all the same. The pyrite, with its sheared faces complements so well the natural beauty of the herkimer diamonds pictured with it...

And I confess I will never get over my love of base metal chains and their ever changing patinas and character. I have a particular fondness for the brass chains from the twenties and thirties, and am always on the hunt for them. The really old book chains are getting difficult to find, but there is still good stuff out there...


I'll admit to being very selfish about my best millinery flowers. I sold some off two years ago and never quite recovered from that momentary loss of sanity. What remains of my collection is in my studio, tucked away in a basket. I tried to keep some of the best examples, and it's about time I took them out and fluffed them up and enjoyed them a bit.


Lastly, who isn't crazy for old boxes and storage items? Pictured above is a vintage cigar box I picked up at a neighborhood garage sale, propped up on a simple pine box bank my grandfather made. I still pop my spare change into it from time to time, and then pry the little lid off when it gets too full, marveling at the tiny round headed nails he used so precisely. Leaning up on it are antique velvet covers from tin type pocket albums. I love the embossed velvet patterns, and they make wonderful props for small pieces of jewelry and treasures...

What's your truth and beauty?

No comments: